I bought Ys IV: Memories of Celceta almost four years ago to the day. I played it once, and all I remember about it is that it screwed me out of two achievements. Apparently, I missed a chest and a resource point somewhere, but I've turned this damn forest inside out multiple times looking for them. I assume it's a bug. But I also remember enjoying it. Having multiple characters to play with, each with a slightly different playstyle, really expanded the Ys formula. I think VII did it first, though, so I'm looking forward to replaying that one. But MoC is the lowest rated Ys game on my board. Is that correct? Let's see. And let's try to write this one like our lad would.
---
"I have been here before. But when? All I recall is stumbling into the city of Casnan. I heard some minors talking about gold and two locals talking about the Romun Empire only recently caring about the region. It's amazing what gold can do. The new Governor-general walked past them, but I was more interested in getting out of the rain. Someone knocked into me, so I spent some time in the mud.
Fortunately, the innkeeper, Peach, was inside her business. She brought me in and offered me room and board. And then someone who knew me came in.
He called me "Adol" and said his name was Durren. Durren knew who I was and why I was here. He said I went into the forest north of town to go on an adventure. Sadly, he doesn't know why I went or why I'm back. Before he could tell me anything else, a commotion from the mine rocked the town. Monsters started to appear, and some of the workers were trapped. Durren joined everyone to see the ruckus, but I took my time. Something kept telling me to join everyone.
As I arrived, one of the miners escaped. But he said there were three more left inside. The Governor-general sent two locally conscripted soldiers into the cave. And then something came back to me. It was three voices, and they spoke of my swordsmanship. Am I a warrior? I don't know what compelled me, but I ran into the mine to save everyone. Durren quickly caught up to me, and it's a good thing he did. I didn't bring a weapon in... Durren joined me to make sure I didn't die and to instruct me on combatant mechanics.
The monsters down here are rats, jellies, and a hard shelled insect. Durren's punches worked better on the bugs, but swinging the sword came natural to me. About halfway through, we found the two soldiers G-g sent in. They were wounded, apparently, and cornered by a large rat. We saved them, and they went back out. But we continued on. There was a locked gate on the otherside of a lake, but the key was in a nearby chest. Durren had to pick the lock to open the chest, but we could go deeper. And then we found the baddie in charge.
Aldovoss is a large rocklike creature. Its hands were immune to damage, but the face on its body wasn't. I'm pretty good at dodging.
With him dead, the three miners were safe to escape. Behind them, though, was a statue of an angel. It looked familiar, but I couldn't tell if it was male or female. Either way, it gave us something. A wing? It allowed us to teleport through the cave via the monuments. What is Celceta?
The Governor-general and everyone were excited when we left the cave. With a backing band, she introduced herself as Griselda and wished to thank us in her office. It was there that she asked us to map the Forest of Celceta. It's a wild, untamed area where people always get lost in. Many never return, but it's believed there are vast veins of gold inside it. And it seems I've already been in, so... I turned her down. Later that night, Durren convinced me to change my mind, so we joined the expedition the next morning. The allure of thirty million gold was too much.
After that, Durren showed me around town to the shops and the bounty board. I made sure I could fight by dealing with a rampaging bull, but then I milked a wild cow.
Durren and I found an area with no monsters because a Life Tree Sprout was nearby. We set up camp and slept for the night. I had a dream about a massive tower in a storm. Was that a memory? Either way, we're venturing into the forest now..."
-Adol
---
In a game about gaining memories, I need to remember the plot! That is, assuming I can play it. I have a massive headache, and it might be the game's fault. It played at a smooth 30 fps and looked good, so I don't know. If I can't, expect a sudden shift to 1993.
No comments:
Post a Comment