Saturday, January 28, 2023

Battle's end.

Um...okay.

We've entered the underground workings of Okinawa Ocean City. Emma informs us this is the heart of the city (or at least this block) and home to the power and sewage systems. It's also home to enemies on rails that attack us.

I had Emma focus the floating guys while attacking the wanzers near the start. Most of the mechs in the back like to punch, so they stay in the back and let you shoot them.

We realize that Midas is in front of us. It's in a column we can't reach unless we sink OOC. Midas is being used as a power source. Lukov would have no qualms about destroying the city to get to it, so we can't relax. Fortunately, we don't have to make that choice to ruin the city or not. The area begins to shake, and the camera cuts outside to see Okinawa tremble, with parts of her sinking into the sea. The team decides to split into two groups again. One group will lead the evacuation, and the other will get to the control center to buy them time and sink Midas to the bottom of the ocean. Ryoji volunteers again to lead the evac group and put your best characters in there. Or at least ones without piercing weapons.

The first battle is with Kazuki. We're on narrow pathways with platforms that move up and down to prevent passing. This wasn't too hard, but it sure was a slough. The mechs are standard junk, and the revived Jarod is weak when he's all alone. Li and Dennis would have fit in. Kazuki, Alisa, and Isau are in the control room. They try to turn off the self destruct sequence, but they somehow make it worse. Lukov planned for this. The attack group heads to the surface to aid in the evacuation. We know Lukov is near, and we're just gonna let the two of them be alone?

Ryoji is at the docks preparing to get the civilians out of here. But the DHZ is also panicking. No one told them this was supposed to happen. But they're in the way, so we attack them!

This might have been the toughest fight we've had in the game. It's largely because my team lineup sucked. The enemies specialize in p-defense, which Lin and Ruoji focus on. The first time I went into this, Marcus had two piercing fists as well. I hit up the shop to give him I attacks, and I tested out the laser weapon we got with the Hoshun a while back. It kinda sucked, but it worked. To make matters worse, there are two giant wanzers present that are launchers. I sprinted toward the guy on the far side of the map and beat him down before the tanks arrived. They were slowly whittled away, leaving the final gear alone. The guy in the middle never moved until I attacked. This sucked, and I save scummed. STOP FOCUSING THE LEGS!

We see a scene where Lukov attacks Alisa and Isau. He nearly kills dad but uses Alisa as bait. Kazuki arrives at the docks with everyone else just in time to get everyone off the sinking city. All the civs and the battle team are safe. Everyone except Alisa and dad. Kazuki wants to rush back, but Ryoji stops him. He has a plan. We see the rest of the city crumble, but the emergency shelter, which houses Midas and the Takamuras, raises to the sky.

Dennis rams one of the boats into the side of the room, and we break through. Lukov just gave a typical "I'm evil" speech about taking over the world before we got here, but who cares? Our party is here and prepares to finish this. But he's too strong, apparently. Suddenly, a new wanzer appeared behind Lukov to knock him off his feet. It's Isau! He's immediately evaporated by the Wyvern. Kazuki instantly feels love towards this dead guy and promises no mercy!

The hardest part of this fight are the four gears between Lukov and us. All four of them will launch missiles at Emma until she explodes. Meanwhile, Lukov shoots s weak laser at Ryoji. Your best bet is to punch them until they're ejected. Be careful, though, because they will enter your wanzer if you hijack theirs. Lukov himself is pretty pathetic, especially when you get close. If the enemy had spread out their damage, this wouldn't have been very hard, but they really hated Emma. I was emotionally done with this game, so I save scummed again. I don't care; Emma's too long. Lukov explodes after saying how weak humans are. Blah blah blah

So how do we get rid of Midas? Emma plans to remain here and detonate it, preventing anyone from ever discovering it again. Alisa, though, knows how to remotely blow it. We all return to the boat, but Kazuki notices his sister isn't there. Alisa didn't even bother hiding, idiot. She's right in the middle of the room! It turns out Alisa lied.

Our boat is already a ways away from the site, but the same scene we saw in the Philippines plays out behind us. Midas is activated, and Alisa is gone. She's sent us an email explaining her feelings, but what's done is done.

And now the epilogue.

The JDF blames the USN, who blames the DHZ. They deny it. Regardless, Japan believes the US, and they join forces. We know this because a guy I killed told us. We see a space shuttle launched from the Philippines head into space as a peace summit begins between JDF and USN. Mr. Sasaki is here. The shuttle returns to earth, and USN airplanes surround us. The cargo bay opens, and several purple wanzers jump out. Our party lands in front of the summit. This battle didn't need to happen.

Kazuki and Emma storm into the building on their mech even though they don't fit. They break up the treaty, and Emma tells everyone the truth once the chaos of their actions ends. Saski nearly blew up Kazuki. Does this make him the final boss?

A year later, Kaz and Emma are in Ravuni. This is where she and Alisa grew up. Emma talks about the fun she and her sister had as kids, and Kazuki foresees more fun with a new family. Once all this is done, of course. Whatever...

Credits role as images of war and propaganda play behind them. We see a breakdown of all our medals and get one final chance to save. If we boot that up, we can begin New Game Plus, but that's for...

...later.

This was a wet fart of an ending. It left too many questions, and I really hate the story. This whole thing was about saving Alisa, but she killed herself. So what was the point? Graphically, Front Mission 3 is gorgeous. The gameplay is solid, and the music is a bit "meh," but it's the story that tanks the game for me. I've heard Alisa's path is better (and shorter), so I plan on playing it. I'm not blogging about it, though. I'm just gonna enjoy it. I'll also save my final review until then. Emma's story gets a 37 out of 50. Their team left a lot to zeros, and the villains were kinda lame, save for an acceptable Lukov. Let's see if Ali is a superior human!

No comments:

Post a Comment