Thursday, April 6, 2023

Missing Princess

The basis of the battle system is top notch. If for no other reason, they let you switch out characters before FFX did. I can go either way on how skills are learned.

Past the dam is a grove of trees. As the party looks out over the ocean at the wonderful sunset, the dragon that attacked last night pokes its head out at us. But it was still. A strange lady with a shamisen appears on one of the trees. She says a lot of stuff I don't understand, and I don't think our party members do either. She plays us a song, but we have to pay her. Ten zenni gets is a song about a frog and a tadpole, but the 100 zenni song is about fate, the Endless, and the dragons' role in this world. Nina realizes later on that the woman ate the money. But the dragon at our side disappears into the aether, and the princess thanks the woman for the song. As we leave the area, she tells the air that we're not just entwined with the dragons, but one of them walks among us.

Further up the road is the village of Kyria. It's a village filled with traps. Some of them are worth triggering for bestiary and exp sake. The hole ones, especially. Ultimately, we need to speak to the mayor because Kyria guards an escape passage to Synestia. Fall into a hole behind the mayor's house and climb up to his house. We'll have to have a stupid conversation with his parrot(s), where you have to select seemingly random responses. I didn't understand it, but the bird(s) tells us the mayor is in the western forest.

A guard there tells us the mayor is here because the village is often beset by monsters, hence the need for the traps. We're given an apple, which will summon a monster we can follow to find him, but I never used it. This place is only a few screens long, so it's unnecessary. The real gimmick here is finding the proper hole in the maze to get all the items in the cave. After a cliffside, we'll finally reach the mayor. He'll tell us to stay quiet because a boar is about to trigger an explosion trap. It does, but it only scares it off. The mayor excessively gloats about his trap skills, but then a shadow appears above it. The boar parent is not happy.

Maman isn't too hard. I insist on trying to guard all the time to see if I can learn something from everyone, including bosses, but I should stop doing that. Body Press can stun a target if it hits, but the stun rarely procs. The one time it did, it wore off instantly. It can also use Cray's earth attack, which hits everyone. Keep your HP above 150, and keep attacking. The mayor thanks us for saving his life, and we return to town. He grants us passage to the cave, but rest at the makeshift inn that night first.

And Ryu has a dream. Fou-lu wakes up in a hut and walks out. He spots a large man who introduces himself as Bunyan. He found Fou in the river, and he's been out for a few days. Fou thanks him and tries to walk away, only to collapse after a few steps. Bunyan takes him back to bed, where he wakes back up. Fou introduces himself to his savior just as Ryu wakes up! We return to the main party, and Cray falls into a hole, but we can go through the Passage to Synesta. It's a straightforward path, but we'll have to climb a rope to get out.

Synesta is a booming village. The party wonders how this is, considering it was also hexed, but they decide to find Elina. There's an orphanage behind them, and it's dinner time. Alas, no one eats unless all the kids eat at the same time. We see a nun chasing after a rambunctious kid, and we offer help. And this sucks! The camera in BoFIV is hot garbage. It's so easy to lose the kid, but it's so hard to refind him. Nina thinks the orphanage has ties to her sister, so we probably have to do this. Regardless, I got frustrated and called it quits. It was getting late anyway, so I'll baptize this idiot...

...tomorrow!

I have no idea how to describe anything I did tonight. I really wish getting that kid would have happened since it feels like it would fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment