To the east of Alltrades Abbey is the Tower of Vocation, where the ancients once quit their jobs after asking God. Employment was taken very seriously back then.
Now, though, it's just a monster filled tower with treasure. There are a few inscriptions on the way up to remind of bygone traditions, but that's it. The only puzzle is how to get in. Someone in the Abbey will teach you the party trick "bow." Perform that outside the door, and it will open for you. We now have to climb six floors and reach the top. Monsters inside are palette swaps of older mobs, proving that even modern Square RPGs still aren't perfect.
At the top is a strange walkway leading to a floating doorway to another dimension. Heal up and head inside, and we'll see Abbey Jack. He begins by asking God for continued guidance of his flock. He sees that we're here but yells at us not to interfere. I wasn't going to, but at least he knows he's not alone. Jack then thinks more about how to lead, and then he gets strange. A magic field surrounds him, but it's clear that's dark magic. Purple is rarely benevolent. Inside that bubble, he starts to believe that letting people be themselves is a terrible idea. The field begins to dissipate to reveal that Jack has been turned into a monster. He's shocked at first but realizes that he can lead people by force with this new power. To prove this, he tries out his new powers on us!
Master Nu'un gets two attacks per round. That can be a basic attack, a defense buff, or various magical attacks on us. He can also drain our MP, so hope he doesn't target your mages too often. Sap usually works, but it's not as guaranteed as before. I had to bring out the medicinal herbs from the inventory for this, and Lucy was on heal duty for much of the fight. Magic attacks seem better than physical, even after two Saps but good luck casting them between healing and him stealing MP. Nu'un is the hardest boss because of all that and because he's not easy to backtrack from. If you're low on MP, you'll need to redo the entire dungeon, so getting to him in good health is the best strategy here.
Nu'un turns back into Jack, and he has no idea what happened. He only remembers eating the fygg and wanting to help the people who came to him better. He returns to the Abbey, and Stella sees a fygg on the ground where Jack stood. This either means he didn't eat it, or he did... Back at the Abbey, Jack will talk to us for a while, but he will now allow us class change. At the moment, we can only turn into things we can make back at Patti's, but there are a number of quests in the Abbey that will open up stronger jobs.
Which is what I did for the rest of the night! I got the armamentalist job because I think I'll change into that, and I'm working towards the gladiator job. I'm gonna need another mistral first, though. I have no idea where the plot will take us tomorrow, but I'm more interested in the quests. See ya when I see ya!
No comments:
Post a Comment