Monday, March 21, 2022

Desert Queen and the Lizard King!

I explored around the world a little but didn't dig that much. I didn't want to get too deep into anything. And I really didn't want to deal with the random encounters at sea...

North of Dourbridge is a small desert island. Park the boat to the east and walk to the city of Gleeba. The Royal Palace, called the Mirage Mahal, lies in the center, but I took my sweet time getting there. It turns out that you can only have so many quests open at a time, so I quickly finished a few. I also found quite a bit of alchemical recipes here, so I did some of that. It was enough that I was, finally, able to fully equip my main party. Thanks to IC, I'm actually better than that. But, ultimately, the Mirage Mahal is my destination for three reasons!
!.) The Paladin job is here. I unlocked that, but I'm not sure how I'll mold into it. Paladins can't use swords, nor can they use shields, so my obvious two candidates aren't really up to snuff.
2.) You can find the Magic Key in an unlocked chest at the top. Purple doors are now opened to you!
3.) The main quest.

The NPCs in town inform us that the Queen of Gleeba is Vuluptua. A merchant recently brought a golden fruit to her, but it didn't change her much. She's always been a "hedonistic" woman, which is the opposite of her noble father. The people in the castle tell us she's all about taking baths. If a drought were to befall the town, it would be because of her and her recently built private bath. Digging deeper starts us on the path to finding our fygg. It seems the Queen is fond of a particular lizard, His Dryness, Drask. What a title... However, the maid in charge of him, Misslei, has "miss laid" His Dryness. If we find him, then the chancellor might be able to get us an audience with the Queen. As many times before, we now need to ask around about Drask's favorite places. To keep this short, use the clap party trick in the shade of the western castle wall. The lizard will pop out, run around, and make us catch him. Bring him to the chancellor, and our audience begins. Vuluptua is very nonchalant about this and doesn't care about any of it. She fires Misslei, and she doesn't give us the fygg, even though we saved her lizard. In fact, she thinks using it as a bath bomb is a more noble use for the fygg than anything we'd use it for!

If we want to get the fygg before it's cut up, we'll need to find a way in. Climb to the roof, and the "creepy" old man sitting on the fountain will tell us the water next to us leads to the Queen's bathhouse. All we have to do is pretend to finish the game's prologue and fall again. But I'll have to do that...

...tomorrow...

But I delayed the update, so it's all one big happy familate.

The team dove into the Queen's private bath, and it was only mildly odd. Everyone was clothed, for starters. The Queen didn't seem super upset, but I wonder how this would have played out if I were the star and not Lucy. Anyway, Vuluptua knows we've come for the fruit, but it's too late. She's already cut it up, and it's floating around in the bathwater. The camera cuts over to His Dryness, Drask, eating a slice of fruit. Suddenly, he transforms into a giant monster. He kidnaps Vuluptua and jumps down a well that's too small for him to have actually fit into. But, I guess it's down we go. The Queen's handmaidens can go either way on their boss coming back.

I'm usually against sewers in midfield RPGs, but I think this is technically a desert aqueduct. Regardless, the monsters fit the sewer theme with blobby molds and snakes. There are also some mummies and sentient skeleton armor for some reason. There's a room down here that contains the ghost of the previous King, Aqueus. He admits that he was too busy being a ruler to take care of his daughter. Vuluptua's mom died shortly after giving birth, so she couldn't be around. This neglect led to Vuluptua being self centered and unable to open up to people, so he pleads with us to save his daughter. A few flights down, we come to an open room. We hear Vuluptua demand to be saved, but I guess I we gotta do it. Drask is able to speak, and he admits why he took Vuluptua. He loves her. Ohhh <3. His lizard instinct told him that he could eat the golden fruit and become human to be with Vuluptua. Stella tries to point out that he's not human, but he doesn't see it. Drask just thinks we're trying to separate the two, so he attacks us.

He's surprisingly easy. Grand Lizzier only gets one attack per round, and it's about the same as the other boss moves. Usually, he'll just breathe fire onto the whole team, so bring something that claims to reduce fire damage. His worst attack, though, is a giant two pawed swing that hits for massive damage. Even at sixty HP, Drew got taken out of action by it. Sap his defense and go to town. He's weak to ice and is a dragon. I thought he was a frog, so I never used Dragon Slash.

Drask realities he's not human because he's never seen one breathe fire out of their mouth before. All the poor lizard wanted was to be closer to Vuluptua as he's the only thing she has to be friends with. Misslei joins us now and admits that she's always felt sorry for the Queen. She's overheard Vuluptua crying over Drask because, again, who else can she turn to? Misslei and Vuluptua seem to become friends, so Drask offers us the fygg he ate (which is the whole thing, apparently) and returns to his chameleon form. We all return to the throne room, and everyone promises to be cool. The citizens of Gleeba remark that everything's changed, and the threat of drought has lessened. I don't believe it because the Queen's private bath has become a women's only public bath. Maybe Vuluptua just bathed 188 times a day? I dunno...

I couldn't find a clue about where to go from here, so I kept sailing east. I docked across the straight and ran around for a while until it started snowing. Following the path north brings us to the college town of Swinedimples Academy. The headmaster is in front of the gate, and he asks us if we're the detective. I answer, "no," but he doesn't believe us. Cool? We play the part anyway and follow him to his study. The school hired an inspector because two students have gone missing, and a third will ruin their reputation. We're are to pose as new student(s), complete with uniform, gather intel from the kids, and find the kidnapper. I did a cursory look around and overheard three boys talking about who might be next. Apparently, it's one of those three, Fred. We (the player) can see a ghost join the group as we regain control of Lucy. I'm sure it's nothing, so I'll get to the bottom of this...

...tomorrow!

There are a lot of IC books in the college, so I'm gonna go do some.

No comments:

Post a Comment