After doing a bunch of side quests, accidentally finding a fygg, exploring the world, and cheating for the sake of alchemy, I finally go back to school!
I ventured into the room where the three boys and the ghost were. It turns out, this is my room! Why are you here? The ghost poofs off as we enter, and the boys are keen to leave when we walk in. I guess they used the empty room as a clubhouse or something. Before we can settle in, though, class begins. Most of the students are here for academia, so the courtyard is empty. There's a teacher who guards the front of the building, who suspects there's a few truant students about, and they ask us to find them. To the west of the building are Fred and Boyz. Fred wonders why we're here and then comes to the realization that we want to join his gang. Respond that you do to advance, but he only tells us we're not cut out to be in the group. The topic of the ghost comes up, and Fred tells us that if we're as tough as we think we are, we'll touch the forehead of the Guardian Statue on the roof of the schoolhouse at midnight. Classes end, and we all go our separate ways. Hit the hey and rest.
Make your way up to the statue and touch it. Before we can, Fred and the Boyz stop us. We're not cool enough to test the rumor, but he is. Fred then calls out to the ghost and challenges it to show itself. Not being a wuss, the ghost obliges. Keep in mind, though, normal humans can see ghosts. We hear the specter speak, and it's angry that so many school children are disobedient. If we'd spoken to everyone in the school, we'd have learned that Swinedimples Academy used to be very strict, but they've eased up in recent years. Maybe too much? Suddenly, Fred is possessed by the otherworldly figure and jumps off the rood. He's fine, but he runs off to the east of town. When we catch up, we're standing before the grave of the academy's founder [insert name I can't hope to pronounce]. The grave opens before us, and we all go into The Old School.
Due to neglect, this place is falling apart, making it a maze to get through. There are also poisoned swamps here and there, so we'll need to climb onto the bookshelves to make it through. There's nothing of note on the first floor's bookshelves, but there are a few to read on the second. The third floor is where the boss is, so this area is pretty short. The monsters are a new mage and scarecrow. Both are palette swaps, so you know how to defeat them.
We walk into a room with three kids and the ghost of the academy's founder teaching them. The kids are forced to be here, and they cannot move. After getting upset that kids can't listen anymore, the founder turns into a monster and attacks! I think I'm still overleveled, which is odd since I skipped a fygg... I had no problem with this guy, and I think he only attacks once per round. You'd think he'd be well versed in magic, but I don't recall him using it much.
The monster will die, but the ghost will remain. He'll have no idea what happened before realizing he's been keeping kids, keeping them prisoner in detention. He then remembers that someone laid a golden fruit at his grave, a story collaborated by a student in the east wing of the schoolhouse. He made a wish that all the troubled kids would turn their lives around and be obedient. He says he's always seen something in then. That wish turned into this, so he only has regrets. But if the academy can turn out strong, brave, and selfless people like Lucillia, he's sure it'll all be alright. He then goes to the afterlife, and the kids can move again. We return to the Headmaster, get 3000 gold, and the new rumors in town seem to indicate that Fred, at least, is now sociable and open. As we leave, we see the real inspector getting tossed out by guards suspicious of him. Poor guy.
And, from here, I got lost. I explored around the new area I haven't got to before but only found fields, monsters, and rocks in the water. I returned to Wyrmwood, thinking that was the only place I haven't been, but nothing opened there. People really hate outsiders because of what happened long ago, but I couldn't do anything. And then I remembered a river south of the academy. I managed to dock the boat in a place I've been before, but I walked a different way this time. North takes us to the wide plains of [insertanother word I can't hope to pronounce]. In the middle of it is the nomadic town of Batsureg. The citizens inform us a healer came to town, and she's amazing! She's healed animals and humans. She's also strikingly beautiful, and the chief of the town has pretty much let her run wild. Everyone seems to be very suspicious of her, for some reason, though. Maybe it's the monster following her? But, I suppose, I'll figure out that reason...
...tomorrow!
There's one more fygg to go, but I know the game isn't over yet. There's still plenty to do, and I'm ready to blitz through it. I probably won't because it's me, and I'm enjoying this game so much! It's also possible I underestimate how much is left, but who knows? I'm at level thirty, about where DQIV ended...
No comments:
Post a Comment