A laugh is heard; a laugh that sent chills down Aerith’s spine. While the others searched for a way to take down Sephiroth’s barrier over the Northern Crater, Aerith tried in tow as the sickening laugh echoed through the Lifestream. Hojo, the mad scientist who’s at the epicenter of everything, had recently fallen into the stream. The father of Sephiroth, the caretaker of the Jenova Cells, and the man who experimented on countless people has died. This brings both good and bad news.
He was another who didn’t bother to learn Aerith’s name, calling her only The Last of the Ancients. He reveals his new body, filled with Jenova Cells, proving he only cared about his science and not ethics, humanity, or the soul. All this creature wanted to do was surpass Professor Gast. He believes he has done so, but at what cost? We then get some ominous teachings from Hojo, who says that everything is apart of the planet due to the Lifestream, both good and evil. Jenova will always be here. He then goes off to give his energy to his son, Sephiroth, and we never hear from him again. If President Shinra was sin, Hojo is the embodiment of pure madness and evil. As a side, we learned that Aerith learned of her birth and early childhood from the memories left behind by Tifa and Cloud from the videos from Icicle Inn. It was mildly upsetting she never knew in-game, despite being so close to home, so I'm glad there's some closure here.
The final chapter starts with the fall of Sephiroth. The writer then goes into more detail about the one-on-one fight with Sephiroth. It’s confirmed that the fight took place in the Lifestream via the two men’s subconsciouses. After the battle, Cloud was “absentminded” as he was nearly pulled back into the Lifestream...until a hand appeared to bring him back. This hand is seen in the game’s ending, but never fully played explained until now. It is Aerith bringing him back to reality. As Cloud came through the veil, Aerith’s hand is replaced by Tifa’s.
Sadly, the fight meant nothing as Meteor was already about to crash into Midgar. Sephiroth may not get his energy, but the planet and its inhabitants will suffer, nonetheless. Undaunted and ever the true hero, Aerith called out. She called out to the whole planet, and the Lifestream rumbled back.
All the kind people she saved down here came to her aid. In humorous fashion, AVALANCHE, or at least the Lifestream Division. showed up and had a discussion over who the new leader was until they united to fight for Marlene. This is when the sprouts from the game's ending showed up and began to slow down Meteor's decent.
Zack then showed up and celebrated that Cloud used Zack's own finisher on Sephiroth. That was the push needed to completely dissolve Meteor, making it a non-threat.
We return to the others onboard the Highwind, where Aerith’s smile appeared in their memories one more time. At last, the planet was saved.
Fin
The Maiden who travels the Planet was short and sweet. This was, I believe, a prologue type thing to the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania. Wither or not it is canon remains up for debate as it always seems to be an afterthought. It’s never been officially translated or rereleased anywhere except via fan stuff. I didn’t find anything wrong or out of place, at least anything that couldn't be easily brushed off. I wish it were longer and went into more detail with some of the characters, though. I’d love to get to know AVALANCHE and Dyne more. Maybe even meet other characters like Seto or Red’s mom. What about Ifalna or Gast? That’s a reunion Aerith deserves. Alternatively, Bugenhagen wasn't down here...
I’m also probably thinking too much about this, and it was only supposed to be a simple preamble and not really mean much. One that I’ve gotten to into. Regardless, I felt things, enjoyed the HEFL out of it, and that’s the best compliment I can give. I will say, though, I’ve been looking to write a song for Aerith, and I wonder if this can be my inspiration to writing poems/songs again? I've written (but not finished) a few in the past, so maybe I'll finish this one. I also, kinda, want to play Crisis Core again...
No comments:
Post a Comment