First of all, I am feeling better, however, because I’m an anxious and worrisome fellow, I expect I'll return to the abyss any day now. Due to that possibility, I’m not gonna start any new games. I don’t like putting games down. When I start something, I want to finish it. Or worse, if I need to put it down for an extended period of time, I may not want to go back, or I’ve forgotten the plot and no longer care for the game. Unless the game is bad, expect me to finish it.
I don’t, however, have the same feelings towards books. I should, but I don’t. I’ve put aside several books over the last years that I’ve been enjoying. Sometimes, I even start multiple at the same time only to give up on all but one. For example, what I did today. I’ve been reading The Canterbury Tales on and off all summer with my stuffed animal waifu. I got to the Second Nun’s Tale. Instead of continuing on, I picked up something else. What that something else is On the Way to a Smile, the FFVII after stories. I think I’ll be reading that when I go outside after dinner, weather permitting.
I want to get back into games, and I’m hoping to next week, but for the reasons mentioned above, I won’t be. I’ll keep listening to various Youtube playlists in the meantime to get me excited about new games. I heard a song from Etrain Odyssey V recently, so I want to look into that.
For now, though, let’s read about Final Fantasy VII.
I don’t think I’ve started out in OTWTAS. My pirate translated copy seems to start with The Maiden Who Travels The Planet, a story about Aerith shortly after her demise. The prologue takes place as she’s sinking to the bottom of the lake.
Aerith was coming to understand how she is no longer living and will never have emotions, as a call back to Cloud’s anger from the game. Despite that, she could still exist. She could sense and see and even hear. Our hero has not yet returned to the planet, as she was want to say. As the prologue ends, she tries to tell her comrades not to worry or blame themselves for her death. She tries to reassure them that everything will be alright. But, as she lay on the lake bed, is was unable to.
Chapter one has her coming to realize her predicament. She was surrounded by the Lifestream, but not yet absorbed into it. She could see it ebb and flow, and how it affects everything on the planet. Aerith then suggests that the Lifestream is the collective memories of every once living thing. The all-powerful force that seems to have a mind of its own to control the planet as it needs be. Was Aerith able to maintain consciousness because of her lineage as the last Cetra? Aerith continues by reminding us of the plot of the game: about Sephiroth and his plan to use Meteor and suck up the Lifestream, thus becoming a god. We're reminded/learn about her feelings toward Cloud, who had his heart broken before his eyes, and the guilt she feels about leaving him in that state. She always liked him because he reminded her of Zack, Aerith’s first love. Even though they’re so different, they share similar qualities.
No comments:
Post a Comment