Thursday, September 10, 2020

The Dead Sea - A place forsaken by the gods...

A lot happened, and I have no time to explain! Get in the time machine!!!

Serge, Radius, and Zappa walk into a giant, melted together shopping mall named The Tower of Geddon. The center of the mall leads to two ways. Right goes to a railway that mentions Arris Dome, a location in Trigger, and left takes us to a garden where Serge sees a ghost child in a white dress, who looks familiar. We carry on to another area I can’t describe and see another child run away. We climb a ladder to reach a room where we see the bodies of Viper, Riddle, and the Devas of this world. They’re translucent and have no collision. Radius and Zappa mourn their friends and family. I feel a little bad about bringing Zappa to see his dead son, Karsh, but it’s closure everybody needs. There was also a third ghost child hiding amongst the bodies.

The next area, located through a wormhole, takes us to a scenic overlook and bell. This is one of my favorite locations in any video game. The background is a mountain range that pierces through the beautiful orange sunset. It’s the exact opposite of The Dead Sea, so far, and I feel like I'm in another dimension. Considering the amount of dimension hopping in this game, and the fact we just came through a wormhole, we probably are. It’s also a significant location for another reason, but I’ll get to that in a moment. To our right is an Energizer, which alleviates us of our tiredness, but we’re still hungry. We walk up the bell and see the three ghost kids we’ve seen throughout the tower. From this point of view, we can see that they look like child versions of the Trigger cast from 1000 AD, Chrono, Marle, and Lucca.

We take a look at the plaque on the bell stand that tells us this in Leene’s Square and Nadia’s Bell. This is where Chrono Trigger starts and ends. The ghost kids then start to yell at Serge and blame him for the state of this world. This is the ruined future that Chrono fought to prevent. But why is it here, and why is it’s current destruction Serge’s fault? Suddenly, we hear a normal human voice from behind one of the pillars. A man steps out of the shadows and tells us not to take heed of the kids. He then introduces himself as Miguel, Leena’s father. He fills us in on FATE, and it's role in the world. It protects the Frozen Flame and decides everyone’s, well, fate. FATE’s been using Miguel as a defender of the Frozen Flame ever since he and Wazuki, Serge’s father, stumbled upon this location fourteen years ago during that storm Marge talked about. Serge was also critically injured, for some reason. That was when The Dead Sea was still the Sea of Eden, complete with otherworldly buildings that weren’t in a state of ill repair. To begin to defeat FATE, we must first defeat Miguel.

And this guy makes Highwayman look easy! He likes to buff himself, while debuffing us, and then blast the whole party with white elements. He also tends to make it hard to cast black elements, which he’s weak against. He wiped my party once, nearly twice. Poor Zappa died again, but just as we cast our last healing spell, Serge was able to fell his future father-in-law. The Sea begins to shake, and Miguel bids us farewell. FATE would rather destroy this dimension than let us have the Frozen Flame. His last thoughts are of his daughter as he and the ghost kids disappear.

Safety is too far away for us to reach before this dimension is destroyed. Fortunately, the White Dragon is nearby to pick us up and drop us off in a safe location near Marbule. Zappa says the dimension door should be active, for some reason, so we go to Oppasa Beach and return to Another World.

As we get there, a kid is beset by Lynx shadows, which we scare off. The kid then tells us that Serge, Lynx in our body, has started a civil war in El Nido. Traveling to Termina, we learn that Poore has raided the islands, just like they did in Home World. The Poore army reveres Lynx, who we’re body swamped with, so they let us do what we will. We met up with Karsh and Noah, who inform us that Viper is alive. The Devas entered the Fort after us. They saw not-Serge acting in ways only Lynx could and deduced that we swamped bodies. The logic isn't really there, and I feel like this might be a questionable plot device. Regardless, we team up with them to free Riddel from the Poore Army in Viper Manor.

This world’s Norris lacks the power that ours does and gets bossed around by an unnamed sergeant. One of his subordinates tries to torture information out of Riddel using a brainwashed cook named Orcha, or Hell Orcha. We go through the sewers, free Fargo, who then frees everyone else. In another room is the cook in question. We stop him before he does something terrible. Hell Orcha is strangely easy. I switched out Radius with Karsh but didn’t bother to equip him. Despite that, I still won. After the string of game overs, I'll take an easy win wherever I can. Norris escorts Riddel out, while we distract the troops. Here we fight a boss rush mode where we meet Gorbyc, who-talks-like-this-because-his-name-is-cyborg-backwards. He’s not too hard, but it carries into another fight with a guard robot. Even after we defeat it, it continues after us. We then run away, get an assist by Gorbyc, break out a window, fall into the dragon's pen, chase off the Porre soldiers with the dragons, and Gorbyc joins the party. Gorbyc only obeys people stronger than me and, since we beat him up, submits to our demands. Orcha joined the team, as well.

Viper has been healing on Hwrmit’s Hideaway, so we return there. Marcy is seen tending to the general's wounds and, suddenly, Lynx attacks. Well, Kid attacks, actually. She’s brainwashed by the other me. Before we get into a fight, Fargo saves us with Polly, and the entire group reconvenes on the Invincible. Viper, Noah, Marcy, and Fargo re/join the team. They give us what remains of the Dragon’s Tear, now called the Tear of Hate. We go to this world's Sea of Eden, which lacks a way in, and see Harle. She asks Lynx if we’d rather have Harle or the World. I respond with  "I don’t know," and she remarks that it’s what she thought Lynx would say. We then return to the Invincible to begin our search for a way into the Sea. We then cut to a scene where Harle laments something, says Au Revoir to us (to herself), and disappears from our party. She is no longer able to be played.

When getting Orcha, Poore said they used him to steal the Dragon’s Tear from Goldove. That was my clue to head there. I head to Another Goldove, fight a random woman named Orlha, who’s having trouble with Porre, and talk to the Priestess, Direa. She gives us a Dragon’s Amulet, which I used to speak to Home Goldove’s Priestess, Steena, the assistant in Another World. She's willing to give us this world Dragon's Tear if we gain the blessing of the Six Dragon Gods. Which where I called it a night.

This was a lot to type using a phone, and I hate it. Sorry, I truncated so much, but there was a lot to say, and phones suck.

I don’t like playing as Lynx. I don’t know why. I was hoping I could return to my real body tonight, but nope. I knew this sequence was coming up but thought I could do it after the swamp. Sadly, I can’t get the Dragon’s Tear until after I see the dragons. I’m bummed, but soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment