Thursday, September 7, 2023

Where to begin.

 It's a doozy.

"Before seeing the King, we checked in on Maya. She was awake and even had the energy to pull on Aisha's hair. I was pretty glad, even if Aisha wasn't. Sadly, her ebullience didn't last long. Tia put her back to bed, and we carried on with our mission.

Aisha had to run ahead of us. Officially, she's not supposed to be with us. She's supposed to be in her room, so walking into the castle with us might be weird. While she changed into her royal attire, we went to find the King. He wasn't in the throne room, so we found his bedroom. He had an Iskan attack and was resting up. A guard refused to let us in, but Kimarl heard us and gave us permission.

He looked different than we remember. His complexion had darkened, and you could tell the disease was winning. Dogi and I spoke with him for a time before a new visitor came in. Oh my gosh, Aisha doesn't fit the royal look. I'm not saying it was a bad outfit for her, but this was such a strange shock! She even tried to have a prim and proper speech pattern.

But the King told us that Ruins Island was the ancestral home of the Edonas tribe. 200 years ago, though, they moved to the current Altago. This knowledge had been passed down from ruler to ruler, but he never gave it much thought. Keimarl assumed the stories about dragons were just that: stories. It's why he didn't tell us this before, but it's pretty clear that these legends are true. He gave us permission to visit Ruins Islands, but we'd have to get there on our own. Aisha asked about coming along but knew she couldn't. But this trip was very important, and someone from the royal family should have gone. With the King out, that meant Aisha had to go. But he told us we were in charge and to keep her in line. Dogi got excited at the thought of being able to reprimand the princess, which caused Aisha to drop all pomp and circumstance. She somehow dragged Dogi out. The King asked me to hang back because he gave me the royal signet, a ring he suspected would aid us on the island. We waited for Aisha to get changed and headed to the docks.

A small dinghy awaited us at the docks. A guard told us no one wanted to captain it, so we couldn't travel just yet. The island has a strange power that distorts compasses, so it scares a lot of sailors. That same power would end up canceling out my teleportation. But Dogi knows a thing or two about boating, so he convinced the guard to let us go. We almost couldn't as Aisha's attendant nearly stopped us. Sigroon, a knight, is sworn to protect the princess. She didn't want Aisha going to such a dangerous place, so Aisha quickly rushed us onto the boat. As we left, I heard Sigroon ask to come along. I felt bad. On the way to Ruins Island, Aisha seemed pretty conflicted. She knows Sigroon just wanted to keep her safe, but she can be demanding. And since this is the last adventure she'll be able to go on (she made a deal with her dad), she had a lot to think about.

We beached the dinghy at the former home of the Edonias. Despite being abandoned for so long, you can tell how prosperous the island was. Empty stone homes, intricate bridges, and a surprisingly large urban sprawl lay before us. Also, Geis was here. He had been waiting, and he was very cagey as to why. The gist is he was working for someone he didn't like but owed them something. He was to be our guide to the Sea Alter because Geis wanted to see if I truly was chosen by the dragons. Afterwards, there was someone he needed to introduce us to. Despite Aisha not trusting him because he was the castle sneak, I let him on. He just wanted to talk to the King, by the way, but Scias chased him off.

As we walked around Ruins Island, we encountered various types of aquatic monsters. With the exception of the headless armor outside and the goblins in the temples, everything lived in the water. We saw several fish and even a few reptiles, one that seemed to teleport.

Behind the town is a hill. I can't know if it was mined out or natural, but an array of caves were in that hill. These were a part of the greater temple that was the Sea Temple. As the others before it, it was a series of walkways interlocked with a relevant elemental blockades. Here it was water! Rooms flooded with water, strong currents, and makeshift walls blocked our way. We found a talisman to Gratteos down here, who is the current god of Altago. This made us think the Edonias had plans to have a new god long before they moved to the mainland. It reminded us of something Mishera said that could explain all these strange happenings. It's reverence for the five dragons that give them their powers. If no one cares about them, then they become powerless. But how would that affect Altago now? But with that talisman, we could reach deeper into the temple. We'd find a way to turn off some of the water functions, which we'd need to contact the monolith. But it was guarded.

Avari El, the Demonic Octopus, started life as an alluring jellyfish. And then It transformed into a massive, four legged mollusk. It was a chaotic battle, but we won with little damage. The four legs tried to stomp us a lot, and we avoided most of the things it shot at us. All of us took turns tanking, so we felt pretty good during the battle.

As before, the Sea Alter stood before us. I approached it, and the message was much darker, though. The disasters seemed to already be in full motion. O-ballon was preparing for a new world. Geis reluctantly admitted that I was chosen. He wanted me to meet someone, so we prepared to return to Altago. There would be a problem...

The beach was overrun by humanoid titanos. We took one out in quick fashion, but two more popped up behind it. Fortunately, a dragon knight's ship was in range with their cannons. Unfortunately, they were here for me.

Sigroon ran off the ship to get Aisha away from me. She thought we kidnapped the princess. Behind her were Raud, Driesen, and Scias, all with swords drawn. They brought with them the bad news that King Kiemarl had died. Someone killed him, and I've been blamed for it. I didn't want any trouble, so I went willingly, even after Aisha vouched for me. Ursa tortured me with her whips, but Raud's prescience was the real horror.

I'd learn later that an unknown entity entered the King's bedroom after I left. Aisha forced Dogi out while the Kirmarl gave me his signet, which was evidence they said I stole. He was killed from the front with no sign of a fight, so the killer was someone the King knew. I understand why they thought it was me. It all made even Aisha think I did it. She saw me just before my sacred execution, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.

Altago has a strange method of execution. The would-be corpse gets to fight for their survival. Scias gave me a basic sword and shield and, unofficially, wished me luck. I guess he knew I was innocent. So I was thrown into the arena against the enraged titano, Ygses Taluga. It was a massive wolf that lunged around the field. It had good juke speed and suddenness, but it was pretty slow in straight line quickness. It also wasn't too strong. Its stomps weren't scary at all. Even with this standard gladius, I handled myself with ease.

I should have staved off execution, but that prime minister was having none of it. He demanded the knights shoot me. Ironically, I was saved by the apocalypse. An earthquake rocked Altago, scarring everyone in attendance. It gave enough time for Dogi and Geis to get out of jail and find me. With a smoke bomb, we managed to escape. The city gates were guarded, though, and the knights chased after us. But Tia was nearby and wanted to help! She had discovered a new path to the waterway, which took us out of the city. I heard another voice talking to her as we escaped. I hope she's fine...

We escaped from Altago, and Geis had my equipment. One of his fairies found them. But he was adamant that we see his boss. So we climbed a cliff in the middle of the plains that looked over everything. It was picturesque! And then Gues did something, and a glyph appeared beneath us. We were teleported to another realm!

A man named Ciarus met us. He is the acting elder of Iska. We've found the lost tribe! We went to his house and discussed everything. Ciarus is the one who taught Geis about magic. There seems to be more between them, but how did they meet to begin with? I guess that's not important. What is, though, is the Winds of Destruction. Ciarus said this is what's causing all the occurances in Altago: titanos, earthquakes, miasma, Iskan Fever. And human interaction is making everything worse. Ciarus fears that the death of the King and the fallout is going to strengthen the winds. And I'm sure the Romn war didn't help this. We wondered if the Five Dragons have been defending Altago from them, but since no one cared about them anymore, they lacked the strength. The only way to find out is to ask them. Elk, Mustafa, and Mushera joined us at this point. Ciarus used Geis' fairies to contact them. We'll need the power of all the elders to reach the dragons located somewhere in the temples. We'll have to worry about Aisha later, though. We can do something with her, in theory, but the Moon Dragon is going to be harder to reach. Edonas killed the Iskan elder line 200 years ago when they forcibly moved to Altago, where the Iskans lived before being forced into this between dimension. Prosperity got to their head. So we'll be returning to the temples in the coming days, all as a wanted fugitive.... ...cool.

-Adol"

I hated not being able to save for forty minutes. From the ship's cannons to after the elders joining my party, I had no ability to save. Kinda lame, Falcom.

No comments:

Post a Comment