Saturday, September 2, 2023

Adol defenda Altago

Welcome to not Tunis!

Ys VII is the last game I can chronically play. It's supposed to come directly after VI, so it's actually the penultimate (for about two weeks) that could be played. I beat it two years and two days ago, but I don't remember much about it. I did have fun! But that was the past, and the future is now!

"Dogi and I were off the coast of Altago. We had just returned from Canon, and Captain Ladoc got us a ship to the Afrocan nation. While we were away, the war between them and Romn had ended. We passed a small island that got Dogi thinking about all the treasures Altago could have. I got excited! And then someone rudely rushed past us. A massive man-of-war ship barreled by us, spraying all on deck with water. Our captain told us that was a ship that belonged to Altagian Dragon Knights. But their presence meant we were in range of the capital!

Our captain wished us well as we returned to land. Dogi and I got a lay of the land in Altago City. The religion, the slums, and the sketchy knights. But we'll get to them later... As we approached the stairs to the central plaza, a young flower maiden walked up to us. She was mute but wanted us to buy a flower. I felt like I've done this before, so I bought one. The girl seemed to take a liking to me and even gave me another for free before running off. That was another herbalist up the stairs that seemed to be related to her, but we kept looking around.

An edict from the King was posted on a board. Foreigners weren't allowed to leave the city. The monsters that roam the country have become too hostile. So we went back to the courtyard... A commotion took our attention because a fabled dragon knight was harassing the herbalist. She wasn't interested in his advances and tried to blow him off, but the so called noble thought he was owed. Our flower maiden saw her sister under duress and wanted to save her. So this little girl started to kick a well trained knight. Seeing how this was going to devolve, we stepped in to help. Geis' words from Canon went through my mind... As expected, the dragon knight got mad at us, but he did leave the flower merchants alone. But then he arrested us for suspicion of being Romn spies...

We weren't in jail for long as a higher ranking knight freed us, much to Ruan's dismay. But he took our weapons, so he got something out of us. We were released by the Altagian Falcon, Scias. He was under orders from the King, who knew who we were...

King Kiemarl is a friend of One Eyed Ladoc, who gave his friend word that two adventurers were coming. How and why does a royal know a pirate? Regardless, he apologized for our predicament and gave us something to do. Recently, an earthquake shook the country, opening a strange cave to the north. The knights found nothing, but maybe more traveled people like us could find something. Before setting off, the King and Scias have us Altigian weapons. These arms are stronger than Romun and even magical. Using the energy that flows through the country, we can make ourselves more powerful than before. It reminded me of Celceta, but Dogi was amazed. He wasn't with me then, so I guess it would. Scias brought us to the colosseum, where we learned how to master this power under the guise of the executioner/arena head, Ursa. Dogi took a liking to her outfit...

Once we finished, we left the town. The Altago Plains is where all the farming happens. Wheat was abundant, but so were monsters. Aggressive squirrels ran rampant, and so did gelatinous slimes and armored beetles. We also mined some iron ore and fresh water.

But we found the cave. It was peaceful inside, which I wasn't expecting. But we climbed down the side of the cliff and found a stone monolith. A mark or seal was on it, but it looked to be just a rock. And then I touched it. A voice rang out to us and told us of a prophecy. The voice knew we were outsiders and were tasked with saving Altago. Doom was approaching, and only a certain type of person could prevent it. I didn't think we fit the bill, but the voice told us to find it. It fell silent, and we tried to leave the room...

A rock monster, Val Klar, the two headed turtle, fell from the ceiling. Its attacks consisted of spinning, spitting bubbles, and raising the ground we stood on. Dogi and I spent so much time on that ship that we weren't what we used to be. This was tough. The King warned us about titanos, and I know now to listen. After dodging for an hour, we finally made it shrink into its shell. And then we couldn't harm it. The voice called out again and gave me a new power: a move that used all the magic stored in the sword! With the Moon Seal applied, I defeated the lizard. And then I passed out...

I awoke with the flower girl poking me. The other tried to get her to stop before realizing I was alive. We finally introduced ourselves, and this is Maya, the mute, and Tia, the herbalist. Tia found us in the cave, scavenging for flowers on the plains, and Dogi carried me back. Tia has been tending to my exhaustion. Dogi joined us just as I got my strength back, and, against doctor's orders, I returned to the King. Tia lives in the slums of Old Altago, selling flowers to make ends meet. There's a massive economic difference in this country.

We had a run in with two angry looking men, the country's Prime Minster and General, but they were leaving. We gave our report, and The King and Scias gave us history on their nation. Long ago, five tribes ruled Altago, but two vanished. These tribes worshipped literal dragons, which is why there's so much dragonconic imagery throughout the town. And if we wanted more information on them, we'd have to find Shannona Village, located deep in the forest. The King began to fall ill now, a sickness he said he could manage, but...

Before leaving, we decided to tell Tia. She was looking for a merchant caravan heading that way because she had medicine that needed to be delivered. Dogi and I took up the task as thanks for saving us, and we headed off. Is that voice from a dragon?"

- Adol

---

Ys VII plays a lot like Memories of Celceta. How skills work, EX moves, and even resource harvesting. It came out before Celceta, so this is the mold. There's no weapons/armor upgrading, at least not yet, but there is synthesis, which is just crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment