Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The SNES launches off!

From a PlayStation racing game to the first racing game on the Super Nintendo. Here's F-Zero.

And here's a lot of fun! F-Zero is a glorified tech demo for the Super Nintendo, but it did so much more. It primarily showed off the new Mode 7 mode, which gave the console a faux 3D look, giving games depth and a feeling of heading towards the background. It showcases this by having a group of people racing around various locations from the year 2500.

The race tracks are unique, fun, and challenging. They all have various hazards which try to kill you before your opponent does. This also means there is more to these games than just speed. If you blow up, you're done. There is no resetting. You can also run into your opponents, but the combat here isn't super smooth. There are moving pitstops, usually after the starting line, to restore machine power. As the race drags on, low positions get kicked out of the race, so don't suck! Go fast, don't crash, and stay off the ground to win. There are four racers to choose from, but they all felt the same to me. There are fifteen tracks, which is super rad for 1990. You can also choose from three different difficulty settings.

There is no plot, but the music is amazing. I've had Big Blue lodged in my brain all night, and I'm not complaining. Even the relaxing rewards screen is a certified banger!

The only negatives are the random jabronis who block you, the weird crashing/inability to turn physics, and the short playtime. I experienced all I needed to know in about three hours.

I don't know what else to say about F-Zero. There's not much here, which is why I called it a tech demo. But it was well made and could have been bigger. But it's 1990, and arcades are still king. I had more fun than I thought, and I kinda wanna keep playing. I understand why F0 fans think the franchise has been abandoned. Give us more!

I'm giving F-Zero a 39/50, but only because my rating system sucks. It's a must play for any "true" gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment