"I didn't want to be a hero. I never desired to perform such an act. My dream was to settle down and just hang out somewhere. Maybe be a farmer or a blacksmith. A family sounds so nice. I wasn't against the idea of being an adventurer, traveling from place to place. Perhaps I'd even write about it or about the places I'd visit. I'm a big fan of local folklore. Instead, I have a destiny.
Even in the middle of it, I tried to escape it. I ran off into the middle of nowhere to carve out a home for myself. But there were so many demons. So many metal slimes... I killed them. And not just the men, but the women and children too. Especially the women and children. And I got good at it. I reached the point where I could fell them in one swing of a sword. I visited the fort city to buy a Fire Sword just because I could. It eventually got...boring. But still, they came for me. While sleeping one night, I had a dream from... an alternate reality. I saw Princess Laura locked in a cave guarded by a dragon. I had to go to her. Would that stop this guilt?
I somehow passed right by the target in the Marsh Cave. Behind a locked door was a fearsome beast. But the metal slime genocide taught me how to perfectly swing a sword and built up my constitution. I made quick work of the dragon. As my dream showed me, Princess Laura was behind it. She had a bed suited for her station, but her path was not. Dragonlord abducted her in order to marry her. She thanked me, and things got uncomfortable.
It could have just been a kiss. It could have just been a choir of angels signifying a royal future. To me, though, it was the final nail in my destruction. There's no coming back from a princess' love. I escorted her back to Tintagel and reunited Laura with the King. I got another kiss, so I quickly went on my way. I could have let Dragonlord take over the world, he even gave me a chance, but I decided to give in to the cravings inside of me.
I went to the Southern Shrine and spoke to the priest. He combined the Stones of Sunlight and Rod of Water to form the Rainbow Drop. There's a small river between the desert around the south Marsh Cave and Dragonlord Island. I used the Rainbow Drop there to create a magnificent rainbow bridge. It looked like a normal bridge, though... I walked around the cliffs where the castle stood and entered the keep.
There were stairwells on either side of the floor, but they went nowhere. In fact, nothing was here. Even the throne was empty. But I felt a breeze coming from behind it. I descended into the basement of the castle and faced off against the demons therein. More powerful dragons, knights, wizards, and furries lay deep inside. But not only that, there was a path slightly hidden from view. It led back up to the heart of B1. The Sword of Roto has been hiding here the whole time? I wonder how no one's found it. Maybe it's my blood? I discovered the less secret stairs up to the outside. After reaching the treasure horde, which contained a cursed belt, I found the true throne of Dragonlord.
He was glad to see me. He recognized my power and invited me to join him. This felt fruitless, and I got the feeling I'd wake up from a nightmare at the fort town, so I turned him down. After all, I don't want half the world; I want none of it! So the final battle of my journey started!
Dragonlord hit hard, but it was nothing my magic couldn't undo. I shudder to think of the pain had I not worn my ancestor's armor.
But then he transformed! Dragonlord is actually a dragon. His fire breath brought me to my knees. I had to heal twice for every sword swing. This was undoubtedly the hardest battle I have ever been in. It's been years, and the flames still stain my memories. But, on my last bits of mana...I felled the monster.
On the throne of the dead demon was the item I sought after: the Light Orb. It was once sealed to prevent Dragonlord's revival, but it's here now. I knew that I could stop this from happening again if I claimed it for all mankind. And thus, I brought light to the world. Even in the depths of the keep, I felt the world change. The poison swamps that have been claiming the land returned to fields of flowers. All the demons that once swarmed the world were gone. And I was finally fateless. I felt like something annoying was about the happen if I went back to Tintagel, so I took my time and visited all the towns I saved. They enveloped me with their praise. I even visited the tablet.
But I did return. The King's Knights stood before for celebration, and the King... He offered me his kingdom. Me, a King? I turned him down. I gave him the excuse that I should form my own kingdom and left. But Laura...oh, Laura. She insisted on coming with me. I tried to convince her to stay, but this princess was far too strong willed. I had no choice... And I'm glad.
And that is how I, Alef, saved the world just as my ancestor did. But what came of Eldrick Alef? Well, that's a story for another day..."
...
I had a lot of fun with Dragon Quest 1. I save scummed the crap out of it, but I'm glad I played this. It's a quick, two day journey, but it set up the sequels. I'm excited about the franchise again! Obviously, the plot was hella bare bones, but there were a lot of rad things here. Optional missions!? Even multiple endings? ...Sorta... Either way, this was the first turn based JRPG, and I needed this. Review tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment