Monday, February 20, 2023

The end of customization...

...except for Ernest because he sucks.

I finally return to Nall because I have the most boring group in Star Ocean history, and all the good PAs are with people who are dead. Now that we have an airship, we have full range of movement across Nede. But we're still not strong enough to take on the Ten Wise Men. We're gonna need to get stronger and combine our powers with the energy of Nede itself. Across the planet are four fields where we'll need to go. Something will happen at the core of these fields, and our power will grow. We'll visit the Fields of Intelligence, Courage, Power, and Love. Nall suggests Intelligence first, and I do too. The battles are the easiest, and it's the least fun dungeon.

FoI is on a hexagon island to the northwest. Inside are three mirrors that can only be used with the Field Codes Nall gave us. Inside are bad mirrors because they don't reflect anything. But they do act like doors. Take the left mirror first and follow the path. Yellow squares are forward, and red is back. We'll need to activate five spinning thingies to activate a new door found in the center room. You can leave, rest, and save if you need to.

In the center room is a floating sphere. There's also a giant hand that shoots lasers at us! Move Rena from the center of your side. Either place her at the top or bottom. There are four mini robots here that aid the Magic Hand. MH's only attack is a massive laser beam that will kill everyone in front of it, no matter how far away. This, surprisingly, is another boss I've had trouble with. I vividly remember Celine needing to whack the guy with her staff because I was out of other characters, healing items, and MP.

The plot separates for both Claude and Rena again. They both feel called to walk into the floating orb pyramid, but they see something different. Rena is a small child in the Shingo Forest, but she's crying. We can pick out the body of something lying before her. Westa comes into the shot to console her child, and we learn Rena's dog, Teenie Weenie, won't wake up. Weata tells Rena that her dog is very tired and sleeping. Rena stops crying and tells her beloved friend, "good night." I cried during this, and I'm crying again recalling it... We return to the present, and our MCs confirm they both saw something from their childhood and leave.

All of that got Celine to level ten of customization. But she still kept failing! I got upset and did something I've never done before: Orchestration! In my twenty five years of playing Star Ocean 2, I've never done this "mandatory" super specialty. I've always been lucky with item creation, I guess. After spending an hour trying to figure everything out, I composed the six melodies and played the song. Everyone has their ultimate weapons! Except for Ernest because he sucks. I did some blacksmithing, but I'm out of a few meteorites. I'll buy the Magical Rasp later once I get those five pieces of gear.

But it's on to the Field of Power, the mountain near Giveaway (and Crisato's conspiracy theory about the Ten Wise Men). We'll have to climb one of three lengthy paths, killing monkeys before they pull a lever that seems like a dumb thing to construct. The lever blocks the path, so keep one of your three fighters between an ape and the lever. They'll prioritize walking, so just keep wailing. If you get behind them, do not attack. It'll push them closer to their objective. There are three ways to climb halfway up the mountain, and it becomes just a single path from there. Save before the long bridge because the Field Guardian will test our strength.

I have no strategy at this point.

Behind him is an empty pedestal. Rena and Claude walk towards it, and they experience more memories of their pasts. Rena is playing one day until Westa collapses. She gets the doctor, who administers some medicine, but Rena hears him say, "tonight will be the worst of it." This upsets our white mage, but she remains by her mother's side. Out of fear, Rena casts her first healing spell. This was the night she learned of her Nedian powers. We return to the present, and we discuss what we saw. Rena's courage in the face of danger allowed her to overcome so much. But it appears Claude ran away from something. For a quick escape, walk onto a ledge where the three paths combine. It'll allow you to create an echo, which'll make an avalanche. Get caught in it, and you'll be at the bottom! The only downside is you have to look at a teenager's underwear...

The Field of Courage of east of Central City. It's a fairly typical dungeon with a bit of a Lost Woods feeling. The objective is to make it to the upper left corner to pick up a statue. Take that statue east of the entrance, go down an elevator, and place it on the dais. A guardian similar to the one at the FoP will test us. The scene after will have Rena alone in the dark. A voice tells her that Nede has been stagnating for so long and she should "sacrifice everything to save it all." Or, ya know, something like that.

The Field of Love floats in the air near North City. It's straightforward, and the only gimmick is you need to turn two floors to make a path. Head north from the first one before crossing the new bridge. I like the look of this place the most, but the enemies suck. Also, weirdly shaped battle arenas make for strange battle tactics. After the save, the Guardian of the Fountain will appear before us. It's a sexy lady. Oh, la la! As we approach her, she'll kidnap Claude (or whoever your MC has the most points with). This is not a guardian. Instead, this is Lover, a "manservant" of the Ten Wise Men. She demands the Rune Codes, and Rena hands them over as a trade for Claude's life. Lover will then attack us, but she also promises to let the hostage go. Her two ads are scarier than her... Rena's vision is of the armor shop in Armlock. A woman appears in there, but Rena doesn't recognize her. "Is this my love?" It's quite odd, but we have all four Field Gems. So let's return to Nall...

...tomorrow!

I got some Blacksmithing done. I remember it being more in-depth than this, but I need some damascus and moonites to finish. And then sell the Rasp because I forgot the star shields.

No comments:

Post a Comment