Tuesday, January 13, 2026

Confession/New Years Plans

I'm a terrible writer. My style hasn't evolved, I don't add anything to the zeitgeist, and I'm repetitive. I use the same words to describe everything. All I do is write terribly detailed walkthroughs, rarely touching on themes or aspects of story, characters, or anything else I like. I am banal, boring, and uninspiring. 

I once won a young author's award in third grade. I remember titling it "The Special Egg," but I have zero recollection of what it was about. I had a teacher's assistant gush over my psychology homework in college, so I don't think I sucked in 2011. I didn't believe her, so I doubt it would have gone to my head. Especially since everyone hated my poem a few years later. 

Can I do anything about it? In my Live a Live review, I touched on the themes of overcoming hate. It's something I want to try to do going forward. I'm not sure if that will work, since JRPG tropes like the power of friendship are a bit too common. I wish I knew music better so I could be more detailed about that. Perhaps painting better pictures of the graphics can be done? I'm nearing 1000 blog posts, so I should be getting better at some point? 

And I might have ammo for all this. My plans this year are to play all the Japanese only RPGs that have translations. But only the ones I think I'll enjoy. So I'm skipping Fire Emblems, Der Landgriser, Minerva, Tactics Ogres, EVO, and Dark Half. Amongst others, probably. This isn't saying those are bad games, but I just don't think I'll vibe with them. Except for Fire Emblem; those ARE bad games. I won't promise I'll finish all of them, but I want to experience them. And this will culminate in my Eastern vs. Western JRPG discussion one day. So I may need a few more Western titles, too. And one European! What has Japan been hiding?! Find out in, like, a year or more. And I hope all the internet scrubbing and LLM: AI slop bots tell me if I'm getting better as a writer, please. 

Also, I'm writing a book loosely based on how cool my stuffed animal is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment