It's proof that Facebook ads work!
I vaguely recall hearing of Týr at some point in my life, but I don't remember how. I feel like I've been missing out! I dig metal, Vikings, clean vocals, and Battle Ballads is about that. There are great guitars, folk instruments, and a hint of progressive melodies and vocal lines in the first album I've heard from this Faroese band.
The lyrics are what you'd expect from the romanticized Norse. The uses for blacksmiths and their weaponry, the sea, fabled warriors, and, most importantly, dragons! There are even three songs sung in, likely, Faroese. It looks Germanic but doesn't seem to be old Norse or Icelandic, so I'll bet my hair it's their native tongue. One of those songs has what appears to be a Latin title, though, so that's fun!
---
Skill) Týr has solid progressive metal chops, and I really dig how much the vocalist can change up his tone. 2/2
Variation) I want to double check this for something, but the album is predominately full forced metal. But there are a couple of songs where they shift it up and slow it down. If you're into it, there are even three songs not in English. But I expected more prog riffs... 1/2
Bangers) Track one, Hammered, is a lot of fun. It's the high point of the album. 1/2
Replayability) I've listened to this twice tonight, and I just made a note to do it again. And you better believe I'm checking out their older stuff in Thai musical dirth period. 2/2
Extras) Ten songs clock in at fourty one minutes of head banging, Vikings, and solid music. 2/2
Total: 8/10
Týr is new to me, and I want to hear them more. Battle Ballads is an amazing introduction, and it hooked me instantly. I'm looking forward to checking out their back catalog, but this'll be an anchor point this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment