Saturday, March 30, 2024

Mini-review: Sum 41 - Heaven x Hell

There's a dirge of new music lately, and I'm kinda desperate for anything. Fortunately...

Sum 41 was a fun little pop-punk band way back before I had proper taste. I thought they were fine, but I never followed their career. My taste in punk music was a bit less mainstream and actual antiestablishment like NOFX, Iggy Pop, and Minor Threat. Honestly, I never got too into the genre, but I did consider myself a fan. But not of that pouser pop-puck garbage! But because all the musicians are on break, and Sun 41 has called this their final album, I've opted to give this a listen.

And I gotta say, I might be sad to hear them go. Heaven x Hell is a double album that explores Sum's distant past and their heavier recent stuff that I've never heard. Part one discusses several heavy topics about getting old, depression, and raging against the system. It's done with the traditional peppy aplomb you'd expect from the genre, and there even feels like some callbacks to inspirations. Future Primitive could be an Offspring song.

Side "two" is quite a lot heavier. I wish I had followed Sum 41 more because this stuff rules. Musically, it is metal, although the singer's voice still sounds pretty punky. Can't hide a voice as well as an instrument. Lyrics over here are more about revenge and self preservation. There's a cover of the Rolling Stone's Paint in Black, and the final song feels like a band's final farewell. Quite fitting.

---

Skill) There's a lot going on between the twenty songs. Plenty of good riffs, solos, and lyrical inventiveness that even a jaded old man like me can enjoy it. 2/2
Variation) There are two very different sides, and both genres allow for plenty of changes. 2/2
Bangers) 2. One for each side, which is rad.
Replayability) I might come back to this. And I would like to check out their metal albums... 2/2
Extras) There are twenty songs, but it only clocks in at fifty five minutes. More importantly, it's a good going away present for fans, new and old. And even for those who don't really care. 2/2
Total Score; 9/10

I can't believe this album is a nine!? I don't say that out of disdain, but it turns out I enjoyed the HxH out of this album. Sum 41 showed up when I started puberty, but I didn't let them hang around. I quickly moved on with my musical tastes (I didn't) and never heard from them again. I kinda regret it. Most bands don't get to go out on their say. But maybe they don't. Deryck Whibly, the lead singer, has a lot of health issues, so maybe touring isn't wise for him. That's not for me to worry about, though. I'm just here to fangirl over a new album. Apparently, I'm not the only one. Regardless of if you're a fan, Heaven x Hell is a worthwhile listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment