Sunday, August 13, 2023

Mountain Fae

"I looked around the Eresian town of Rimorage. It's a port town, for some reason, that was built off of reclaimed stone from Redhan ruins. There are a few Redhans who have chosen to reside here. But the vast majority suffered the same fate as myself: shipwreck by the Great Vortex. I started my search by speaking to Baslam, an Altagian merchant who doesn't like being called Eresian. He also dislikes the Redhan but will work with them if it earns him money. He denied taking the mirror, and I didn't find anything that said otherwise. Elsewhere in town was an old friend of mine.

I first met Raba in Esteria. He was trapped in Darm Tower, researching local legends. And those legends brought him here. I hope I'm like him when I'm pushing seventy years old. The two of us discussed the islands we were trapped on. Raba had been here for three years and was close to Olha. He told me about several places of interest and even knew where Ur was. Ur was his apprentice and was off picking up stuff in the plains up north. Raba thought Ur would know more about the mirror, so I followed his directions and went to find him on the Cannon Plains.

The Plains are a wide field of gentile slopes. It's inhabited by wolves, spitting frogs, and air raiding insects that drop more tank beetles. I got lost and found a cave that was guarded by someone. He warned me about going deeper in because there was no light and told me Ur came by before going to the north mountain.

Mount Granna-Vallis is not a fun place to spend an afternoon. The fireflies are made of literal fire, and they were assisted by goblins that hucked exploding rocks at me. I was bounced around so often that I became thankful for the plants that tossed their leaves at me like a boomerang. This mountain is filled with crazy creatures.

About halfway up is where I found Ur. He was being stalked by four underground sharks that I managed to down stab to death. He was thankful and wanted to get back home. He noticed I was using the blue emolas sword his dad had and knew that meant I was a friend. I told him his cousin was worried about him, and he informed me a red fairy was carrying something shiny up here, which is why he started this dumb climb. With this information, I escorted him home. I also found Raba's journal up here, and it was a log of everything on the Cannon Islands. I would have stayed to chat, but I wanted to see that fairy. I upgraded the Livart Sword at the nearby Redhan blacksmith and restarted my climb.

Good thing I reforged! I found a piece of a broken mirror at the top, and a naked red fae creature came to yell at me. She (?) spoke in the third person and made me think this was a trap. Juul wanted to play with me and summoned a massive moth. It broke the dias we were on, and we started falling for this entire fight. It didn't make sense, but whatever.

Zonplus fights in two phases. It toyed with me in the beginning by testing my reflexes. It hovered most of the time, only descending to smash me with its crab claws. I'm glad I found new armor up here! When it learned I was a threat, it started spitting pollen at me in between birthing its children onto our stage. I knocked most of them into this infinite pit. I managed to kill the monster just before I found out this pit does have a bottom.

Juul was upset and blamed me for this before flying away. It seems she's working for someone... In the north of this room is another emolas sword. Rumors in town alluded to this being here. I have some control over fire now, so I went back to Rimorage.

After Raba and I told Ur how we met, I showed them the mirror. Both of them thought it was a piece of the Holy Mirror Zemelth. It's supposed to be held by the priestess, so we all decided I should return it to Olha. I had to take the Mythis Path again, but it seems the bridge between the two islands should be fixed soon. Baslam will see to that. I killed the monsters nearby and plan to return to Redham soon. Before, though, I showed a bard at the inn a blue tablet I found on the mountain. He knows the local languages and told me what it said. It was written by the last Redhann alive during the time of the goddess Alma. I'll tell you about all of them later.

- Adol

---

And so we've reached the battle system. Adol can switch between swords, each with its own element and attack styles, in battle. When they're upgraded, they give him access to new basic attack swings and magic. So it's a more manual thing to OiF's bracelets.

No comments:

Post a Comment