Thursday, June 18, 2026

Ys Mutation

So is cancer. 

Lagoon is not a good game; everyone knows this, but I am a fool who has to play it anyway. Surely the sword can’t be that short, can it? It was! And it’s all downhill from there. 

You play as Nasir. Why are you Nasir? No one knows. He’s the Hero of Light, but I hope Link bombchus him. He has to figure out why the lake is muddy, which involves an evil wizard or something. Probably. I only got to the third dungeon before tapping out. 

Why was there an escort quest? Why did I need to backtrack so often!? Why are hit boxes so tiny!? Why are hurt boxes so large!? Why am I wielding a toothpick!? Why is the music so good? 

You’d think, with how awful this game is to play, they’d have phoned in the soundtrack, but that’s the one proper thing Lagoon stole from Ys. 

I don’t mind when games blatantly rip off other games. Oceanhorn was amazing because it was just Zelda. Mana Khemia was fun because FFX is goated. I dig me some classic Ys, which is wholly unique, and I welcome imitators. But they ruined everything that makes Ys Ys (except the soundtrack). There’s no neat characters to drive the story, waifus, or fast paced combat. It’s just awful. 

And it didn’t need to be! You see, Lagoon on the SNES is a port from the X68000. And that’s a complete game with proper Ys combat and a story! Nasir is explained, Thor is more relevant, and there isn’t some random girl who kidnaps the princess. Why did they butcher this game when they already had a proper story that already worked? I’ve said enough already and asked too many questions. Moving on…

17/50

No comments:

Post a Comment