Shin Seikoku: La Wares is so niche I can’t find a translation for the title, and Google Translate just pumps out the same thing. I wonder if the developers didn’t think anyone would play it?
I say that because the actual content here is as barebones as can be. I’ve played RPGMaker games with more stuff to do. And what’s interesting is La Wares has two different battle modes! So let’s start there. Combat is a traditional turn based affair where your agility stat matters. Cool, looking good so far. And there are only three characters in your party, which is fine. In theory, this allows those three to shine. I’m a big fan of a small character list. The difference in La Wares is I’m not sure what the differences between those three are. If I really bothered to dig in, I’m sure I could find a Final Fantasy job they’d fit into, but I’m not gonna. All three learn the basic cure spells. Chiffon, the main character, is definitely physically focused, but Agura and Michelda feel the same. Hell, they can even equip all the same gear. I did get a kick that this tiny princess can use a halberd.
And then there’s the robot battles! Yep, it’s a gundam. A singular gundam, in fact. Only Chiffon gets to pilot a robot, and they’re awful. You can only attack or kick. What’s the difference, you ask? Why, it’s the same as a combination of an elephant and a rhino. It’s an ‘eleifIknow! There is no difference. Chiffon is also a terrible pilot because his accuracy is around thirty percent. And the GUI is equally bad. I think I figured out the right side/blue tubes are our HP, but what did the red side mean? To make matters worse, all but the first handful of bosses are done in the mecha suit, so those two mages following you around never get to show off. You don’t need magic in random battles; they’re just so easy.
So the battle system is boring, to the point I stopped halfway through. And I’ll put an emphasis on why in a moment, but what about what I care for the most: the story?
It’s actually pretty solid. I liked two of the characters. A good spunky princess is always nice, and Chiffon is …fine. Nothing negative. I also have no comment on Agura, as her twist is so obvious to anyone with eyes that it isn’t a twist. I wonder if this is based on a novel? The enemy group is, well…
They’re not around a lot. But then again, nothing is.
And the story is filled with melodrama and unanswered questions. What’s this foreign cult trying to assert itself on the playable continent? Probably the Eight Wheel we beat up through the game. But where was Chiffon actually born? His adoption is brought up and instantly dropped. And Agura’s other twist is so out of the blue I feel like I’m watching All My Circuits when Calculon was in a contract dispute. What a dark time for that show. But, oh boy, is it brisk!
Graphics are …interesting. I find the world sprites to be mediocre, but the battle sprites of the enemies are pretty solid. And the world looks alive and lived in, even if there are only two tile sets for towns. And there’s only one type of cave, but you venture into caves ALL THE TIME. Good looking forest, though. Backgrounds are also nice to look at.
Music was also perfectly fine. All fifteen tracks…
But enough beating around the bush, as the bush is already gone. There is no content in La Wares. You can beat the game in eight or nine hours, but half of that is grinding. The actual story comes at you at breakneck speed, and they run out of plot ways to pass the game. No side quests, no characterization scenes, no tangible world building; just grinding. You don’t need to grind for money or rare items; you just need EXP to get through boss walls. The actual common battle enemies die if you sneeze on them, but bosses are just bullet sponges with high evasion. And that’s why I’m over this.
Shin Seikoku: La Wares has a competent baseline for a game. But then they mess with the formula and never expand on that baseline. It’s Final Fantasy XII of 1993 or whatever. And the translation might be a tad too vulgar for me. But maybe I’m still secretly Mormon.
16/50
No comments:
Post a Comment