Thursday, May 16, 2024

Sebastian Bach - Child Within The Man

I don't like Skidrow. So why did I bother to listen to their former lead singer's new album in an already cluttered week? I dunno! 

Child Within The Man kicks off with "Everybody Bleeds." A news story about Hurricane Irene destroying Bach's New Jersey home welcomes us. He's turned that tragedy into a hard rocking song about how we're all getting screwed over by "they." Bach seems like a cool dude on Twitter, so I don't think he's spitting stupid conspiracy theories. The guitars here are amazing and really drive home that this song is a banger! And Bach's voice has such a huge range!

"Freedom" gives off dad rock vibes. Based on the video, it probably is. "Kicking ass" in the name of freedom. It's a fine song. Great riff, though. 

"(Hold On) To The Dream" starts off as a power ballad before turning into a Rob Zombie song, musically, at least. The lyrics are about fighting for something you believe in, and the last verse alludes to someone (specific or vague) tearing us apart. 

"What Have I Got To Lose" is more dad rock, but I'm not picking up on any greater meaning in the lyrics. For Arena Rock, though, the song is surprisingly complex. The entire backing ensemble isn't afraid to let Bach rip off a few lines without them. It's not groundbreakingbut it's fun, which is just as important. 

"Hard Darkness" is the best grunge track in years. Add that to Bach's dirty screams, and we've got another great four minutes here. No clue what the lyrics are about...

"Future of Youth" is about believing in yourself and not giving in to hate, no matter how strongly it tries to lure you in. 

"Vendetta" is about a broken friendship. Bach tries to remember the good times in the past, but there's only so much nostalgia can do. 

I expected to hate "F.U." as being the bad type of dad rock. But it's another take on "Everybody Bleeds" and how we need to save the planet. The "F" stands for fake, by the way. 

I don't know what to make of "Crucify Me." The entire track is staccato in every way. It's not a bad song, by any means, but I'm just confused. The arpeggios (?) at the end of each line on the chorus are captivating, though. 

"About to Break" is about a woman, but I can't ascertain the relationship. It's the slowest song on the album, and the drums are the driving force here. 

"To Live Again" is the final song and is definitely an 80's power ballad. It's about how it's okay to walk away, especially if you're young. Don't saddle yourself with nonsense in your way. Failures happen to everyone, and it's okay to be confused. It's about learning. 

---

Skill) Internet sleuthing gives me three or four potential guitarists, and I really need to know who did it. They were absolutely amazing, and they instantly became my new favorite guitarist. But being introduced to Sebastian Bach is such an enlightening event. 2/2

Variation) There are a couple of different subgenres here, and the internals of each song mix it up, too. 2/2

Bangers) One, obvious, but I'd keep an eye out... 1/2

Replayability) What have I been missing from the man named Bas?! 2/2

Extra) Eleven songs clock in at under fifty minutes of exciting, full on rock and roll from a long time veteran. 2/2

I kept a lot of these writings short because I'd just be repeating myself, gushing over how phenomenal Bach's voice is. Skid Row's well known songs really kept him down. I don't know who the guitarist is, but my neck hurts, and it's all his fault. Love it! I also didn't want to get super in depth about a few of the lyrics. They make me think they're political, but I'm afraid I'd be projecting my ideal onto something I just learned I love. A quick internet search informs me a certain red hat monger isn't well liked by the artist, so I could be in the clear. But, ya know... Regardless, Child Within The Man is a 9/10, but I expect it'll get a full recommendation come December. I'm so glad my musical taste has changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment