It's another entire album that could have been one song... But at least this one is fun!
Annette Olzon is best known for being Tarja Turunen's replacement in Nightwish. This was a very contentious decision, and a lot of fans hated her, never giving her a real shot. I actually liked her. I thought her two albums were better than Once, and Once is one of my favorite albums ever. But the fan backlash is reported (true or not) as the reason Annette's not in the band anymore. She released a solo album shortly after and joined up with The Dark Element. I haven't heard any of those four albums. The first single for Rapture appeared on my YouTube feed a few months ago, and it was really rad! The next couple were just as good, so I've been looking forward to this. I have mixed feelings...
It's an entire album about the end of the world according to the Christian bible. Every song is about god cleansing the world of all the evildoers, the wicked, coming together in the name of god, Christian persecution complexes, and Jesus. That's fine, but it gets really boring if you have issues with god because he does save you from suicide. But that's just me. That's literally all the lyrics in the album.
The music is fun power metal that overshines the lyrical blandness of the album, so even I could enjoy the whole thing. There's not much more to say, so let's get to the numbers.
Skill) Lyrics aside, Olzon is really amazing. Her voice still has the range and power I remember from Dark Passion Play, and her harmonies pierce everything. The guitars are everything I want, but I can take or leave the growls. They're infrequent, though. 1/2
Variation) There's a bit too much god and straightforward power metal, but each song has its rises and falls, along with the occasional piano. 1/2
Bangers) 0, at least for me.
Replayability) While I doubt I'll be seeking out Rapture for a while, I hope auto play brings it back occasionally. I want to check out Strong and Shine. 1/2
Extras) Eleven songs over fifty two minutes is perfect. But I am the ant Christ, so I can't give it full points since it's a concept album. 1/2
In total, Rapture gets 4/10. But that's only because I believe we should keep god out of the devil's music. If I were still a good little Mormon boy, I'd probably give this album a perfect score. The first couple of tracks are hella rad, and I would like the concept more. If you remember Demon Hunter, you'll (ironically) adore Rapture. But even if you don't, there are worse ways to spend an hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment